Saturday, March 14, 2015

C4T#3 and C4T#4 Post

I was assigned Jose Vilson’s blog “The Jose Vilson”  for blog posts #3 and #4. My first comment was left on Jose’s blog, “White Administrator’s Guilt.” In this post, Jose discusses the issue of racist behavior in school systems.  He talks about teachers and administrators who are being cruel and racist to not only their students, but also the staff. Below is my comment for “White Administrator’s Guilt."

http://thejosevilson.com/white-administrators-guilt/Jose, 
I’m a student at the University of South Alabama. I am currently seeking a degree in elementary education and I am just sickened by the type of behavior you discuss going on in the school systems. I agree with you that if someone is seeing racist behavior happening in front of them and does nothing about it, they are just as guilty.  After looking over your links, thats were just shocking to me, I did a little more research on this major problem in school systems.  Of course I knew how big an issue racism is in the world, but I had no idea the problem in schools concerning adults anyways. Teachers and principles should be the ones to rise above this behavior and focus on children’s education and well being. I mean isn’t that the point of going into education for a profession?  I found an article that talked about a white teacher asking a colored girl if she was a monkey in front of the entire class, just because the child was talking with a friend while the morning announcements were being made.   I cannot imagine the humility this little girl felt. I’m glad you made a post about this sickening issue.  It helped open my eyes to what is really going on in some schools.  Thanks for sharing.   - Erika Owen





http://thejosevilson.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/vilson-empowerin-educators-cultural-competeence-2-01.pngThe second post I was assigned for Jose Vilson was “Empowering Educators Through Cultural Competence.” I loved reading this post! Vilson discussed the importance of letting our students tell us what they need sometimes.  So often teachers find themselves striving for quietness in the classroom when really, they should be asking questions to form a better understanding of their students.  Jose even talks about his own experience with a student of his.  A boy kept falling asleep in class and Jose associated this with laziness. In reality, the boy was dealing with family issues which was causing him not to sleep well at night. As teachers, we need our students to feel comfortable enough to explain or talk about things. Or atleast talk to us about seeing a counselor or someone to talk to.  Vilson also lists three very beneficial strategies to help us be a successful teacher.  These steps are as follows: 
1.) Build Relationships, But as a Teacher First 
2.) Create a Fair and Equitable Environment
3.) Ask Questions as a Form of Disarming

José,
I feel like the information and advice you share is extremely beneficial for future educators like myself. The workable strategies you listed are excellent. I found each one of them helpful and also agree with them completely.  I can't tell you how many teachers I have had in the past that constantly demanded silence in the classroom. This of course did not make for a great learning environment, so I’m glad you brought that point up.  After reading your post,I feel that I will be much more aware to take my students’ cultural backgrounds into consideration. I look forward to reading more of your powerful and informal posts! 

-Erika Owen

No comments:

Post a Comment